Aspirin use and risk of hepatocellular carcinoma incidence and mortality in the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal, and Ovarian Cancer Screening Trial
1. Kim H.-S., El-Serag H. B. (2019). The epidemiology of hepatocellular carcinoma in the USA. Current Gastroenterology Reports 21(17).
2. Beal E. W., et al. (2017). Trends in the mortality of hepatocellular carcinoma in the United States. J Gastrointest Surg 21:2033-2038.
3. Cao Y., et al. (2016). The population impact of long-term use of aspirin and risk of cancer. JAMA Oncol 2(6):762-769.
4. Loomans-Kropp H. A., et al. (2019). Association of aspirin use with mortality risk among older adult participants. JAMA Netw Open 2(12):e1916729.
5. Simon T. G., et al. (2018). Association between aspirin use and risk of hepatocellular carcinoma. JAMA Oncol 4(12):1983-1960.
6. Yang J. D., et al. (2019). A global view of hepatocellular carcinoma: trends, risk, prevention and management. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 16:589-604.
7. Tsan Y.-T., et al. (2012). Statins and the risk of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with hepatitis B virus infection. J Clin Oncol 30(6):623-630.
8. Kim G., et al. (2017). Effect of statin on hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with type 2 diabetes: a nationwide nested case-control study. Inter J Cancer 140(4):798-806.
• Evaluate the association between aspirin use (yes/no and frequency of use) and incident HCC
• Investigate the association between aspirin use (yes/no, frequency of use, duration of use) and liver cancer mortality
• Among individuals with HCC, we will evaluate the association between pre-diagnostic aspirin use and HCC mortality (Sensitivity analysis)
Tracey Simon, Harvard Medical School/Massachusetts General Hospital
Andrew T. Chan, Harvard Medical School/Massachusetts General Hospital
Asad Umar, Division of Cancer Prevention, National Cancer Institute