The Participant dataset contains study group identification, clinic visit compliance/timing, demographic and anthropometry data.
A clinic visit refers to the participant attending the study center for anthropometry measures and to complete study activities.
The study entry date for a participant is defined to be the date of the first clinic visit. Demographic information was obtained from the telephone screen administered prior to the first clinic visit, and includes information on age, race/ethnicity, and self-reported height and weight. Anthropometric measurements (and additional self-reported height and weight) were made on all participants at each clinic visit. Anthropometric measures include weight, standing and sitting height, hip circumference, and waist circumference. The recorded data point for each anthropometric measurement is the average of the two closest (out of up to three) repeated readings at each visit. The third reading was only taken if the first two readings differed by more than a preset limit. These measures are provided for use in future analyses, but were also used in the course of the study to determine appropriate dosage of doubly-labeled water (DLW), assess changes in body weight and body composition over the course of the study, and calculate body mass index (BMI).
You may view data dictionaries and formats for the Participant files. Datasets can be obtained by submitting a request.
- Anthropometric Measures
- Collected at 3 clinic visits
- 873 have data for all 3 clinic visits
- Study Group and subgroup
- Age and birth year
- Date of telephone screen completion
- Self-reported height and weight (from telephone screen and completed clinic visits)
- Study Entry date (Date of 1st clinic visit)
- Number of completed clinic visits
- Completion status and dates of 2nd and 3rd clinic visits
- Height, weight, waist circumference and hip circumference at each clinic visit.
The Modified Canadian Aerobic Fitness Test (mCAFT) is a submaximal fitness test used to estimate aerobic capacity. Participants who were deemed eligible for the mCAFT using the Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (PAR-Q) completed the mCAFT once during the study. The mCAFT protocol required participants to complete one or more stages of three minutes of stepping until they reached their predetermined ceiling heart rate for their age. During each three minute stage the participant stepped up and down on two steps at a specific rate. At the end of the test the heart rate was measured for one minute.
You may view data dictionaries and formats for the Fitness Test files. Datasets can be obtained by submitting a request.
- Physical fitness test
- Completed once (M0 for groups 1 & 3, M6 for groups 2 & 4)
- 523 participants have a complete fitness test
- Estimated maximum volume of oxygen (VO2 Max)
- Predicted 85% max heart rate, and an indicator of whether this heart rate was reached by the participant
- Number of stages and heart rate at each stage
- Pre and post blood pressure
- Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (PAR-Q) data